InHabit is providing green building consulting and facilitation services to Salarpuria Sattva group towards their multi-dwelling high rise residential
project named Sattva Navaratna Residency. Navaratna is a 582 unit high rise residential development with its own community centre, club house,
sports facilities, swimming pool, kids play area just to name a few. It is also one of the largest residential developments in the heart of Coimbatore city.
On completion, Navaratna is expected to be among the top health and environmental performers in the region and the only development with a
GRIHA 4 star rating.
Client: Salarpuria Sattva Group
- All required environmental clearances and government approval were obtained.
- The project has over 50% of its open area under soft landscaping or under shading from trees to minimise site disturbance, thereby reducing heat island effect and long term environmental impact.
- The development has reduced the site imperviousness by 65% through implementation of sustainable urban drainage strategies.
- The entire roof area of the building has been installed with high performance cool roof materials and most parts of the driveways have been shaded using trees, thereby reducing the heat gain in the homes and also reducing the impact on the micro climate.
- Air and water pollution was minimised during construction by following global best management practices.
- Existing fertile soil was scraped out and preserved for reuse post construction.
- The development has preserved existing trees where possible and has planted an additional 209 trees to restore the site.
- Various water conservation and soil erosion control techniques were adopted to minimise water use during construction.
- All construction waste was segregated, reused or recycled thereby minimising construction waste being sent to landfills.
- Many basic house hold amenities are within walking distance or a short drive away to reduce auto-mobile use and enhance quality of life.
- The buildings comply with Energy Conservation Building Code 2007 standards for energy efficiency.
- Various passive design measures have been taken to ensure minimum heat gain without compromising on day-lighting and ventilation. Through the use of cool roof, high performance windows & efficient lighting in the common areas the building has been made at least 51% more energy efficient compared to conventional homes of the same size.
- The walls have been made using thermally efficient Wienerberger-Porotherm bricks which insulates the home against the heat outside and reduces heat loss when using air conditioners.
- All external lighting is LED with minimum luminous efficacy of 100 lm/W.
- All refrigerants used for air conditioning the common areas will be eco-friendly, thereby reducing the ozone depletion and global warming.
- The development uses BEE 5 star rated water pumps along with energy efficient lifts in the building.
- All spaces have been designed to allow optimum day lighting, thereby helping productivity of the occupants and providing a connect with the outdoors.
- Every living space has been provided with optimum size operable windows to allow fresh air ventilation, thereby avoiding indoor air pollution caused by indoor pollutants.
- All buildings at Navaratna Residency have enhanced thermal comfort by reducing heat gain through the use of enhanced shading, buffer spaces and high performance glass, roof and wall assemblies.
- The project team has taken many measures to reduce outdoor and indoor noise levels. The project site is expected to comfortably meets the 35-40 DB noise levels.
- CO2 and Relative Humidity sensors are provided in the club house to maintain optimum indoor air quality.
- Following the guidelines provided by the GRIHA all paints, adhesives & sealants used in the buildings are low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds), thereby minimising the adverse health impacts caused by emissions from such chemicals.
- Navaratna Residency is a zero rain water discharge development. All rainwater from roof is stored for reuse and all non-roof run off is percolated into the ground.
- All flush and flow fixtures used in your home are at least 57% more efficient in comparison to conventional fixtures available in the market.
- The entire landscaping has been planted with local drought tolerant species and coupled with highly efficient drip and micro jet irrigation the water use for irrigation is expected to reduce by 33%.
- The development treat 100% of its waste water to tertiary standards and reuses over 60% of it within the site itself for irrigation and flushing purposes, thereby reducing water demand and strain on the public sewer systems.
- All systems are in place to ensure that supply water meets the BIS standards.
- The total money value of all the recycled content used in various building materials in the project is over 25%, thereby reducing the environmental impact caused due to the use of virgin materials.
- The entire building has been constructed using Pozzolona Portland Cement which contains waste flyash thereby reducing the overall embodied energy of the building by over 20%.
- Environmentally conscious materials were used in the interior doors, ceiling and floors.
- Every household is provided with two bins, one for organic waste and the other for inorganic waste. There is also a dedicated area to store metals, e-waste, plastic, paper, lamps and batteries for recycling.
- All organic waste is composted and the compost is used as a soil conditioner in the gardens.
- Top priority is given to worker safety and well being. Worker resting areas, first aid and grievance redress facility is also provided.
- The entire development has been designed for universal accessibility as per the National Building Code.
- Dedicated toilets and resting areas are provided for service staff working in the building.
- A owner’s manual has been created to educate and help the home owners lead a sustainable lifestyle and ensure residents are aware of all basic information relating to their homes.
- Water meters have been provided at every major source of consumption to monitor water usage.
- Energy meters have been provided at every major energy consumption areas including backup gen-sets.
- An integrated building management system is envisaged to ensure remote monitoring of energy and water usage.
- The development will have a dedicated operations and maintenance team to ensure building systems perform as expected.
- All building performance data will be recorded for at least one year to identify areas of building performance improvementify areas of building performance improvement.
Following are the features, strategies, techniques and materials used to ensure your home is as green as possible:
Sustainable Site Planning
Indoor Environmental Quality
Sustainable Building Materials
Performance Monitoring and Validation
Our Scope of work
- GRIHA V.2015 ratings facilitation services.
- Introduce best practises in energy & water management.
- Provide accurate energy efficiency and water efficiency data.
- Help minimise waste during construction and introduce best practises in waste management post occupancy.
- Improving indoor environmental quality to meet minimum daylighting and ventilation requirements.
- Introduce best practises in improving quality of life and maximising productivity.
- Compiling a Green Home Owner's Manual complete with green building features, how to lead a green lifestyle, maintenance tasks and other operational information.
- Staff training and awareness on project green features.
- Providing any guidance to a stake holder if necessary.
- Provide assistance in creating a clear marketing campaign and help generate awareness of the GREEN credentials of the project.
- Provide any other sustainability related advice, service and assistance within scope.
Expected date of completion: February 2018